Skip to Content

National Travel and Tourism Week, May 2-8, 2021

Photo Credit: Monroe County Sheriff’s Department

The City of Forsyth and communities across the country are gearing up to celebrate National Travel and Tourism week next week, from May 2-8, 2021. Look for our posts on and on Instagram @forsyth_cvb !

The theme this year is the “Power of Travel”. This is an opportunity to highlight the role that tourism and travel play in the economic vitality of our communities. It also reflects the role tourism and travel play in rebuilding our economy and reconnecting with each other across the country. Tourism and travel contributes so much to our local economy and our communities’ unique character.

In Forsyth and Monroe County, the economic impact of domestic travel is $58,269,082.00 output (sales/revenue); 768 jobs; and $15,543,307.00 in income. This saves each Monroe County household nearly $300 a year in taxes!

Our Forsyth hotels and restaurants bring $37.7 million in domestic travel spending, which translates into $1.7 million in state tax revenues and $990,000 in local sales tax revenues. Tourism is good for Forsyth and Monroe County!

Source: UGA 2019 Economic Snapshots for Monroe County/Hospitality & Travel
Photo Source: Her Majesty Kitchen, Chelsia Ogletree

Tourism creates jobs, both through direct employment and indirectly in sectors such as retail and transportation. When these people spend their wages on goods and services, it leads to what is known as the “multiplier effect,” creating more jobs.

The tourism industry also provides opportunities for small businesses, which is especially important in rural communities. It generates extra tax revenues, such as hotel taxes, which are used for schools, housing, and hospitals.

The City of Forsyth collects hotel-motel taxes from 13 hotels and one KOA Campground. 60% of the hotel-motel tax goes to the City and the remaining 40% to the Convention & Visitors Bureau.

While we faced extraordinary challenges in the past year, we are excited to share the full power of tourism and travel, and the strength and spirit of Forsyth and Monroe County.